Welcome Child Care Provider


In response to COVID19, EMSA has reviewed its interpretation of home study, which is prohibited by statute for this training.

EMSA interprets home study to mean training that takes place in an individual’s home, or through an online format that is not interactive.

 Courses that use an online virtual classroom setting(s) that allow for real-time interaction with the instructor are allowed.

 Skills practice and evaluation must be completed in-person.

For guidance on class and gathering sizes, refer to CDC, CDPH, the California COVID 19 webpage, and your local government guidelines.

Child Care Provider training consists of 16 hours of training for first-time licensees.  The hours of training must be completed as follows:

  • 4 hours of Pediatric First Aid
  • 4 hours of Pediatric CPR/AED
  • 8 hours of Preventive Health and Safety Training

Every two (2) years, child care providers must renew their training by completing 4 hours of pediatric First Aid and 4 hours of pediatric CPR.  If an instructor provides a course in fewer hours than required, the training is not in compliance with the law.  Report this situation to the EMS Authority at (916) 322-4336.

Before agreeing to pay for a training course in pediatric First Aid, Pediatric CPR, or Preventive Health practices, ask to see the training program or instructors certification card or other documents authorizing them to train child care providers.


Approved Training Programs


Find an approved training provider to complete your required 16 hours of childcare training:

Prior to calling EMSA for help, click here.



Frequently Asked Questions


How long should my child care training be?

  • Training should be a total of 16 hours. It is broken down into four hours of pediatric First Aid, four hours of pediatric CPR and eight hours of Preventive Health and Safety practices.

Can I take shortened class in pediatric first and and CPR since I am only renewing my training?

  • No. The training for pediatric First Aid and CPR is required to be a total of 8 hours, four hours each, every time a child care provider retakes the courses. Pediatric First Aid and CPR must be repeated every two years.

Can I take online courses for the 16 hours of training?

  • No. Based on the current statute, there cannot be any online courses for child care training.

Can I take my pediatric first aid and CPR training from the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association? If so, do I need the EMSA stickers on their course completion cards?

  • Yes, you can take pediatric First Aid and CPR training from the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. No, an EMSA sticker should not be on the American Red Cross or American Heart Association completion cards. It is illegal for the EMSA Stickers to be placed on these cards.

Can I take my preventive health and safety practices training from the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association?

  • Preventive Health and Safety practices courses must be taken through an EMSA-approved program.

Are there any other organizations where I can take my training?

  • Yes, you can also take your pediatric First Aid and CPR training and Preventive Health and Safety practices training from an accredited college or university. You will not need an EMSA sticker for these courses. You will need a transcript to prove to Child Care Licensing that you have taken college courses.

If my training was shortened, what should I do?

  • The EMS Authority monitors approved courses for compliance with the laws governing child care training.
Please report problems of shortened EMSA approved child care training to:

Personnel Standards Unit

What if my training was shortened from either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association?

  • If you have received shortened child care first aid and CPR training from either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association, you should report these issues to their main offices. You can find their numbers on their websites.

If I have a question regarding licensing issues with my day care homes or center, do I call EMSA?

  • No, Licensing issues are handled by your regional Child Care Licensing Regional Office. For the list of child care Licensing Regional offices, you can go to:
  • For general child care licensing information, you may go to:


For More Information
Emergency Medical Services Authority
10901 Gold Center Drive, Suite 400
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Phone: (916) 322-4336