CAHC Resources and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Resources for participants
- Health Corps FAQ: FAQ-Health-CorpsPDF (this is a pdf file)
- Travel Reimbursement FAQ: FAQ-Travel-ReimbursementPDF (this is a pdf file)
- SNF Orientation: SNF-Nursing-Staff-Orientation PDF (this is a pdf file)
- Vaccination Orientation and Training: COVID-19-Vaccination-Training
- How to file a complaint: How-to-file-a-complaintPDF (this is a pdf file)
- Direct deposit: Std699-Direct-DepositPDF (this is a pdf file)
- Travel expense claim: Std262-Travel-Expense-ClaimPDF (this is a pdf file)
- Employee Action Request: Std686-Employee-Action-RequestPDF (this is a pdf file)
Questions and answers:
What is California Health Corps?
It’s a state program that lets health care professionals meet increased needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. The state established California Health Corps in April 2020.
How does California Health Corps work?
When facilities have exhausted nearby resources, California Health Corps brings more support. Participants can sign up for shifts based on availability, willingness to travel, and skillset.
What can my role be in California Health Corps?
California Health Corps participants are temporary state employees. As a participant, your work will help those most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. You will have the freedom to work when and where you choose.
Can a doctor with an out-of-state license work for California Health Corps? How about foreign medical graduates with California licenses?
No. To be eligible for COVID-19 emergency medical staffing roles, you must:
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Have a valid California license for clinical practice (if you are a MD, DO, etc.)
What are the pay and benefits for California Health Corps professionals?
CalHR Pay ScalesPDF (this is a pdf file) lists salary rates for most of the health care professionals hired for this emergency (see pages 5.12 and 5.13). It has also established pay rates for other medical roles, such as paramedics and EMTs. CalHR will determine specific salary and benefits after reviewing each application.
Some healthcare professions are not listed. Are members of those professions eligible to work for California Health Corps?
California Health Corps are currently only accepting applications for the healthcare professions listed. We will open registration to other professionals, if the need arises.
When can I expect a response after completing my California Health Corps registration?
The process may take up to two weeks, so we can focus on parts of the state where the needs are the greatest. We will contact volunteers after verification of credentials and assessment of needs.
How do I return to the California Health Corps application after logging out?
Visit https://healthcarevolunteers.ca.gov. Use the account you created while applying to correct or update any information you want.
Updated July 9th, 2021