Epinephrine Auto-Injector Information
State laws have been updated to allow physicians to prescribe epinephrine auto-injectors to businesses and the general public with proper training and certification. The epinephrine certification card issued by the EMS Authority allows an individual to obtain a prescription for and administer an epinephrine auto-injector to a person experiencing anaphylaxis, with civil liability protection.
EPINEPHRINE CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Epinephrine Certification Application: Completed and signed in ink (photocopies of applications are accepted)
- Proof of EPI Training from an EMSA Approved Training Program (Click here for a list of training programs.)
Proof of Current Professional Healthcare License (photocopies are accepted)
- Proof of Adult, Pediatric and Infant CPR/AED Training: CPR/AED training requirements must meet requirements listed in Regulations found here
- Fee Payment in the Amount of $15.00: checks/money orders are the only currently-accepted forms of payment **Click here to find an EMSA-Approved Epinephrine Training Program
- Change of Address Form [PDF]
- Epinephrine Certification Initial Application [PDF]
- Epinephrine Certification Renewal Application [PDF]
- Request of Alternative Address to Mail Epinephrine Certification Card [PDF]
- Request for Replacement Card [PDF]
STOCKING EPINEPHRINE AUTO-INJECTORS
Businesses and other organizations may obtain a prescription for and stock epinephrine auto-injectors if they employ or utilize a volunteer that is an EMSA-certified lay rescuer as provided above. To receive the epinephrine auto-injector(s) the business would need to take the EMSA certification card to a physician to receive a prescription. The prescription can then be filled by a pharmacy. A business that stocks epinephrine auto-injectors is required to keep records, create and maintain an operations plan, and report to EMSA when an epinephrine auto-injector is used.
TRAINING PROGRAM APPROVAL
For those wishing to become an EMSA approved epinephrine auto-injector training program, please fill out and send the below application, with the required documentation and the $500 fee to the EMS Authority.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS