Epinephrine Auto-Injector Information




State laws have been updated to allow physicians to prescribe epinephrine auto-injectors to businesses and the general public with proper training and certification. The epinephrine certification card issued by the EMS Authority allows an individual to obtain a prescription for and administer an epinephrine auto-injector to a person experiencing anaphylaxis, with civil liability protection.

A list of California approved Epinephrine training programs may be viewed by clicking the following link: Epinephrine Training Programs.




Epinephrine Certification Application: Please disregard epinephrine certification application instructions and read Epinephrine Application Instructions.





Businesses and other organizations may obtain a prescription for and stock epinephrine auto-injectors if they employ or utilize a volunteer that is an EMSA-certified lay rescuer as provided above. To receive the epinephrine auto-injector(s) the business would need to take the EMSA certification card to a physician to receive a prescription. The prescription can then be filled by a pharmacy. A business that stocks epinephrine auto-injectors is required to keep records, create and maintain an operations plan, and report to EMSA when an epinephrine auto-injector is used.



For those wishing to become an EMSA approved epinephrine auto-injector training program, please fill out and send the below application, with the required documentation and the $500 fee to the EMS Authority.



Do I need a certification card to carry my own epinephrine auto-injector?
No. If you have an epinpehrine auto-injector prescribed to you by an authorized health care provider, for your own use, you do not need to apply for a certification card.
Do I need a certification card to use an epinephrine auto-injector prescribed to my child or spouse?
No. If your child or spouse has an epinephrine auto-injector prescribed to them by an authorized health care provider you do not need a certification card to use/adminster epinephrine to them.
Are off-duty EMS personnel considered “lay rescuers” under the law when off-duty?
Yes. When off-duty, EMS personnel are considered lay rescuers. Paramedics, AEMTs, EMTs and First Aid trained public safety personnel are not independent medical practitioners who can use an epinephrine auto-injector while off-duty, unless further certified. The epinephrine auto-injector certification will allow EMS personnel to legally use an epinephrine auto-injector, and be protected from civil liability while off-duty.
How do I renew my certification?
The requirements and process for renewal of the certification are the same as that for the initial certification. You will find the application with required documentation provided above.
After I finish with training can I go get an epinephrine auto-injector from the pharmacy?
No, you must first get a prescription from a health care provider to present to the pharmacy.
What businesses should be stocking epinephrine auto-injectors?
It’s recommended that all businesses have access to epinephrine auto-injectors.



Emergency Medical Services Authority
10901 Gold Center Drive, Suite 400
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Phone: (916) 323-9875