The State of California requires all persons that provide paramedic level scope of practice emergency medical services to obtain a valid state issued paramedic license. UPDATE: Paramedic Renewals* (non-audit, no new disclosures) are now processed same-day via the Online Licensing System below! Submit your Renewal Application today. Expedite Initial application review by skipping the accounting line. Submit your paramedic initial application via the Online Licensing System.
* Paramedic License Renewal Postcards are no longer sent. Reminders are now being sent to the email address on file. To update your email address at any time, please visit our Forms page to download the “Notice of Change of Address” document and email to email@example.com.
*Lapsed License/Reinstatement applications are not currently accepted through the online licensing system and must be submitted by mail. Visit our Forms page to download the Reinstatement Application.
All licensure fees are Non-Refundable.
- Central Registry (Verify a paramedic license or EMT, AEMT, Lay-Person Epinephrine Certification)
- Forms (Applications, Name Change, etc.)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Online Licensing Information
Please expect delays in processing application that require Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background checks. DOJ results are taking up to 4-weeks to be received by EMSA.
ADDITIONAL PARAMEDIC INFORMATION
(California has not adopted the NCCP model yet; therefore, the NREMT “Traditional” recertification model remains available for California paramedics.)
PARAMEDIC TESTING – NREMT (National Registry of EMTs)
PARAMEDIC TRAINING PROGRAMS and CONTINUING EDUCATION
- CAPCE (formerly CECBEMS) Approved Continuing Education Courses/Providers Important notice: Paramedics must provide their state paramedic license number upon registering for CAPCE courses to ensure state approval of CE credits.
- Paramedic Training Programs
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC)
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) – Paramedic Program Accreditation
- Department of Consumer Affairs – Bureau for Private Post Secondary Education
REINSTATEMENT (LAPSED LICENSE) APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
RENEWAL AND LATE FEE ASSESSMENT DEADLINES
OTHER PARAMEDIC INFORMATION
Tell Us What You Think
Your experience is important to us.
If you have something to share, we are listening.
Your feedback is one of the best tools
we have to identify our strengths, as well as
opportunities to improve.
Paramedic Page – Contact Information:
Paramedic Mailing Address:
California Emergency Medical Services Authority
Paramedic Licensure Program
11120 International Drive, Suite 200
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Phone: 916-323-9875 / 916-324-2875(fax)