The State of California requires all persons that provide paramedic level scope of practice emergency medical services to obtain a valid state issued paramedic license. UPDATE: Paramedic Renewals* (non-audit, no new disclosures) are now processed same-day via the Online Licensing System below! Submit your Renewal Application today. Expedite Initial application review by skipping the accounting line. Submit your paramedic initial application via the Online Licensing System.
*Lapsed License/Reinstatement applications are not currently accepted through the online licensing system and must be submitted by mail. Visit our Forms page to download the Reinstatement Application.
All licensure fees are Non-Refundable.
- Central Registry (Verify a paramedic license or EMT, AEMT, Lay-Person Epinephrine Certification)
- Forms (Applications, Name Change, etc.)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Online Licensing Information
- Initial In-State (California Graduates) Paramedic License Application Packet (pdf)
- Initial Out-of-State Paramedic Application Packet (pdf)
- Initial Challenge Paramedic Application Packet (pdf) [Physicians, RN’s, Physician Assistants, and MICN’s ONLY]
- Lapsed License Reinstatement Lapsed Less Than One Year Application Packet (pdf)
- Lapsed License Reinstatement Lapsed One Year or More Application Packet (pdf)
- Renewal Paramedic Application Packet (pdf)
- AUDIT Renewal Paramedic Application Packet (pdf)
ADDITIONAL PARAMEDIC INFORMATION
– California has not adopted the NCCP model yet; therefore, the NREMT “Traditional” recertification model remains available for California paramedics.
PARAMEDIC TESTING – NREMT (National Registry of EMTs)
PARAMEDIC TRAINING PROGRAMS and CONTINUING EDUCATION
CALIFORNIA APPROVED PARAMEDIC CONTINUING EDUCATION
- CAPCE (formerly CECBEMS) Approved Continuing Education Courses/Providers Important notice: Paramedics must provide their state paramedic license number upon registering for CAPCE courses to ensure state approval of CE credits.
- LEMSA Approved local and online NREMT Transition Courses (pdf)
CALIFORNIA APPROVED PARAMEDIC TRAINING PROGRAMS
- Paramedic Training Programs
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC)
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) – Paramedic Program Accreditation
- Department of Consumer Affairs – Bureau for Private Post Secondary Education
REINSTATEMENT (LAPSED LICENSE) APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Live Scan Locations: Department of Justice (DOJ) Office of the Attorney General Website
- Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA)
RENEWAL AND LATE FEE ASSESSMENT DEADLINES
OTHER PARAMEDIC INFORMATION
If you have any questions please check out our Frequently Asked Questions or send an e-mail to the Paramedic Licensure Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Paramedicine
- Local Optional Scope of Practice
- Paramedics Deployed to California on Mutual Aid (pdf)
- Out of State Mutual Aid Form (pdf)
- Mutual Aid FAQ’s
Tell Us What You Think
Your experience is important to us.
If you have something to share, we are listening.
Your feedback is one of the best tools
we have to identify our strengths, as well as
opportunities to improve.
Paramedic Page – Contact Information:
Number of Currently Active California Paramedics
Paramedic Mailing Address:
California Emergency Medical Services Authority
Paramedic Licensure Program
International Drive, Suite 200
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Phone: 916-323-9875 / 916-324-2875(fax)
Contact your Local EMS Authority (LEMSA).
Or visit the EMT page