California EMS Information System (CEMSIS)
What is CEMSIS?
CEMSIS is a demonstration project for improving EMS data analysis across California. CEMSIS offers a secure, centralized data system for collecting data about individual emergency medical service requests, patients treated at hospitals, and EMS provider organizations.
At least 20 of California's 33 Local EMS Agencies currently send a variety of local data collections to CEMSIS on a voluntary basis. In return, these local agencies gain access to digital tools for running comprehensive reports on their own data at no cost.
What can CEMSIS do today?
Currently, EMSA uses CEMSIS data to study variations in local data quality and local capacity for health information exchange. When fully operational with 100% local participation, it is estimated that CEMSIS will catalogue over 4 million EMS events per year. EMSA will use the data to develop and coordinate high quality emergency medical care in California through activities such as:
- Healthcare quality programs which monitor patient care outcomes
- Agency collaboration across jurisdictional boundaries
- Local, regional, and state-level public health surveillance
- Increased public awareness of emergency medical services in California
To improve local data quality and prepare California EMS for health information exchange, EMSA and local agencies adopted new data standards known as NEMSIS Version 3.
The NEMSIS Version 3.4 data standards provide a set of tools that EMS professionals can use to integrate EMS patient care data with electronic medical records at hospitals. This will allow EMS providers, hospitals, and government agencies to exchange patient information securely and in real time - leading to better patient outcomes and a smarter system of care
California transitioned to NEMSIS Version 3 on January 1, 2017.
CEMSIS Updates and FAQ
CEMSIS Value Lists:
- 201 - CEMSIS Provider Agency List [Excel]: Updated 06/06/2017
- 203 - CEMSIS Facility List [Excel]: Updated 06/02/2016
- 209 - CEMSIS Cause of Injury List [Excel]: Updated 08/22/2016
- 210 - CEMSIS Symptom List [Excel]: Updated 08/22/2016
- 211 - CEMSIS Provider Primary and Secondary Impression List [Excel]: Updated 08/22/2016
- 213 - CEMSIS Location Type List [Excel]: Updated 08/22/2016
- NEMSIS General Website
- NEMSIS Version 3.4 Data Standards and Downloads
- NEMSIS Version 3.4 Data Dictionary
- White papers published by NEMSIS Technical Assistance Center